In 1942, Bing Crosby sang, “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas.” Living in a desertous region, we haven’t had snow in twenty years, and temperatures can rise to 101 degrees in December. Nevertheless, Christmas at my home has given me “moments to remember.”
As a child and teen growing up, my family’s goal was to evoke the true holiday spirit by metamorphosing our home into a winter wonderland. For as long as I can remember, we’ve had one Christmas tree in every room; last year, we had a total of fourteen trees. Every year in October, we begin to transform our home.
“It time, boys,” my father says. “Dan, bring that box into the office and Tom, take one at a time. We don’t want to break anything!” From the garage, we haul one-hundred boxes filled with nutcrackers, ornaments, lights, angels, and a partridge in a pear tree! Mom unpacks and organizes everything.
Attached to the boxes are pictures from previous years, which come with memories. The sound of Santa’s voice and sleigh bells on Christmas Eve still rings in my ears. “Ho, ho, ho, Daniel and Thomas aren’t sleeping. I guess I’ll go to Cousin Amber’s house!” As children, my brother and I bolted out of our beds to catch a glimpse of Santa. “Hear that Daneil!” my brother said. “It sounds like Santa’s in the front yard!”
“Let’s stay up and see what he really looks like.” Many hours, we sat at that window and wondered if we had been good enough for presents. When we grew older, my brother and I met our front-yard Santa, who happened to be our dad. But knowing this never diminished our holiday spirit.
The real decorating begins by stringing countless lights and hanging over 7,500 ornaments. Every tree has its unique theme. My brother’s room has the Harry Potter tree; my room has the baseball tree, which Dad loves because it celebrates every Major League team. My favorite is “the main tree” with its melting pot of ornaments; ornaments that I made as a child hang next to ornaments my mom made when she was a child. My popsicle-stick snowflakes live in harmony beside her crocheted angels. Chirping bird ornaments from my grandparents perch on the top of the tree. The annual Baccarat Christmas ornaments that my dad has given my mom every year they’ve been married glisten with memories. The main tree is truly magical.
The greatest aspect of the decorating is sharing it with others. Every year, we have a party for friends and family. Showing them our winter wonderland and watching them enjoy the beauty is just as gratifying as opening a present on Christmas morning. When I have my own family, I hope to continue my family’s tradition of extraordinary Christmas spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment